<$BlogRSDUrl$>        

Phutatorius

Serving up inflammatory chestnuts since . . . well, today.

Sunday, August 10, 2003

Contained in this post are excerpts from a letter I was compelled to write recently in order to obtain a rebate for disposable contact lenses. For now I will spare you the letter's last two paragraphs and their abstract theorizing about modernity and customer service — I leave those observations instead for some twenty-second century archivist to edit for inclusion in the Epistulae Phutatorii — as I think the story is best told without commentary:


Mary ********
Gage Marketing Services
ACUVUE $30 Rebate Offer
P.O. Box 9900 Dept. 386-011
Maple Plain, MN 55592

Re: ACUVUE rebate.


Dear Ms. ********:

I am in receipt of your letter notifying me that I “did not include the correct proof(s) of purchase required for this promotion.” The materials and instructions I read asked that I provide four “box tops.”

In my experience, a “box top” is that portion of a box that one raises to open the box. Based on that experience I sent you the slim tabs clipped from four boxes of my contact lenses. Those tabs are raised to open the box. Perhaps I was mistaken in what “box tops” was supposed to mean, as it was not adequately explained. . . . I therefore now enclose the boxes in their entirety, on the presumption that some portion of each whole box must by definition be passable as a “box top.”

* * *

Please do not hesitate to alert me to future irregularities in my submission. I await as ever your watermarked reply.

Sincerely,

[Phutatorius]

posted by Phutatorius at  #12:23 AM.

Say something!

Archives

  July 2003   August 2003   September 2003   October 2003   November 2003   December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   April 2005   June 2005   August 2005

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?